Holy Week

Semana Santa en Écija

Écija’s most important festivity is Holy Week, declared a National Festival of Interest to Tourists. Each year, people from Écija and tourists from all over the world come to visit it, eager to see the religious statues on the processional pasos1. Among them we must mention the Cristo de la Salud, which dates back to 1500; the Cristo de la Yedra, dating from 1600 and crafted by Juan de Mesa; the Cristo de la Expiración, from 1729 and made by Montes de Oca; the Cristo de la Sangre, made by Gaspar del Águila in 1567 or the Santo Entierro, whose wooden urn is covered by fine tortoiseshell engravings with pure silver inlaid works, crafted in 1711.

In the following lines we provide you with further information about Holy Week, offered by the Consejo General de Hermandades y Cofradías Ciudad de Écija2.

Consejo General de Hermandades y Cofradías de la Ciudad de Écija

Location and contact: Post Office Box 208 - 41400 Écija (Sevilla) - Telephone numbers: +34 955 904 197 / +34 650 404 604 - www.consejohermandadesecija.org

DOWNLOAD ITINERARIES 2017 PDF FILE


SÁBADO DE PASIÓN (PALM’S SUNDAY EVE)

Name of the Order: Agrupación Parroquial de Nuestro Padre Jesús del Amor en su Prendimiento y María Santísima de la Concepción. Chapel of Santa Ángela de la Cruz.

PROCESSION: EL OLIVO

PASO EL OLIVO (“The Olive Tree”)
Approximate times: Beginning: 16.30pm. End: 22.30pm.

Itinerary: Temple (16.30pm), Villa de Pavillon Sous Bois, Juan Díaz Custodio, Estatuto de Autonomía, Pepita Tomás, Rejas, Clara Campoamor, Feria, La Luisiana, Estatuto de Autonomía, Concepción Arenal, Rotonda Avenida del Genil, Cristo de Confalón, Victoria, Avenida Andalucía, Coronado, Santiago, Cava, Puerta Osuna, Ignacio de Soto, Cánovas del Castillo, Plaza de la Constitución, Fray Carlos Amigo Vallejo, Miguel de Cervantes, Amapola, Pensamiento, Violeta, Alfonso Aragón “Fofó”, Estatuto de Autonomía, Juan Díaz Custodio, Villa de Pavillon Sous Bois, Temple (22.30pm).


DOMINGO DE RAMOS (PALM SUNDAY)

Name of the Order: Ilustre y Fervorosa Hermandad y Cofradía de Nazarenos de la Sagrada Entrada Triunfal de Jesús en Jerusalén, Nuestro Padre Jesús Cautivo y Nuestra Madre y Señora de las Lágrimas y Santa María en su Inmaculada Concepción. Church of Santa María.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1955 - www.hermandaddelcautivo.es - www.iglesiadesantamaria.org

PROCESSION: LA BORRIQUITA

PASO LA BORRIQUITA (“The Little Mule”)
Approximate times: Beginning: 11.45am. End: 14.15pm.
Total number of nazarenes: 130.
Number of float bearers: 35.

Itinerary: Temple (11.45am), Plaza de Santa María, Plaza de España, Miguel de Cervantes, Emilio Castelar, Jesús Sin Soga, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial3 (12.35pm), Doña Sancha Carrillo, Espíritu Santo, Garcilaso, Mas y Prat, Plaza de España (City Hall), Plaza de Santa María, Temple (14.15pm).

This procession represents the entrance of Jesus Christ in Jerusalem on a mule back, a work crafted by Álvarez Duarte in 1974. The statue of La Borriquita (“The Little Mule”) was made by the Sevillian Francisco Fernández Enríquez in 2000. The “canastilla” (sort of large plinth on which the statues stand) combines wooden colours with silver metal elements, made by the Sevillian workshop Hijos de Juan Fernández. The embroidery in “the faldones-respiraderos” (long and decorative structures to cover the float and also for breathing and seeing from inside) have been made by the Ecijan artist Jesús Rosado Borja.

The penitents’ tunic is black with white cape and “capillo” (face cover) and also a cincture made of esparto.

PROCESSION: NUESTRO PADRE JESÚS CAUTIVO Y SEÑORA DE LAS LÁGRIMAS

Approximate times: Beginning: 18.00pm. End: 22.00pm.
Total number of nazarenes: 330.

Itinerary: Temple (18.00pm), Plaza de Santa María, Plaza de España (City Hall), El Conde, Santa Ángela de la Cruz, Cánovas del Castillo, Plaza de la Constitución, Fray Carlos Amigo Vallejo, Emilio Castelar, Jesús Sin Soga, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (20.00pm), Zayas, Secretario Armesto, Plazuela Don Esteban Santos Peña, La Marquesa, El Conde, Mandoble, Plaza de Santa María, Temple (22.00pm).


PASO DE NUESTRO PADRE JESÚS CAUTIVO

The main paso of this Order is a masterpiece of the Sevillian maker of religious images Cayetano González, in 1947. Especially notable is the Crown of Thorns. The Baroque style paso, carved by Antonio Martín, was gilded by José Luis Asencio. It is currently under restoration by the gilder Miguel Santana Morato, from Sevilla. The statue was restored in 1998 by the Sevillian Francisco Fernández Enríquez.
The penitents’ tunic is black with white cape, black “capillo” and also a cincture made of esparto.

Number of float bearers: 35.

PASO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LAS LÁGRIMAS
Nuestra Señora de las Lágrimas is represented in a “paso de palio” (a covering held up on poles or hung above the paso) which has maroon velvet embroidery, made by Luis Asencio. In the top of the “palio” we can see an oval painting by Rafael Amadeo Rojas. The gold and silversmithing works of the paso have been made by the workshops Hijos de Juan Fernández, whereas the set of jugs is a work by the workshop Villarreal. The statue's author is anonymous, from the 18th century.
The penitents’ tunic is black with white cape and black “capillo”, as well as a cincture made of esparto.

Number of float bearers: 30.


LUNES SANTO (HOLY MONDAY)

Name of the Order: Fervorosa Hermandad del Santísimo Cristo de la Yedra y Nuestra Señora de la Caridad.

Church of Santa Ana.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1959 - Total number of nazarenes: 450 - www.hermandadyedraecija.com

PROCESSION: LA YEDRA

Approximate times: Beginning: 18.00pm. End: 12.00am.

Itinerary: Temple (18.00pm), Barrera Santísimo Cristo de la Yedra, Emilio Castelar, Jesús Sin Soga, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (19.05pm), Zayas, Secretario Armesto, Plazuela Don Esteban Santos Peña, Carmelitas, Cavilla, Carreras, Sevilla, Santa Florentina, José Canalejas, Puerta Palma, Merinos, BerbGiles y Ruisa, Plaza Bio, Barrera Santísimo Cristo de la Yedra y Temple (12.00am).

PASO DEL SANTÍSIMO CRISTO DE LA YEDRA
The holy statue of Cristo de la Yedra, which is to be found in the old convent of the “Orden Tercera Franciscana” (currently Church of Santa Ana), in the famous quarter of “El Puente”. It is a work made by Juan de Mesa which dates from around the year 1630. The paso was crafted in a Baroque-style, with “candelabros de guardabrisas” (candelabra with open glass recipient to put the candles) carved by Antonio Martín and gilded by Ángel de la Feria.
Both penitents’ tunic and “capillo” are green and the cape is white.

Number of float bearers: 29.

PASO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA CARIDAD
The statue of Santísima Virgen de la Caridad is a work made by Francisco Buiza Fernández in 1961. It is a Sevillian-style paso whose first procession parade took place in 1962, using for this the paso belonging to the city’s patron saint Virgen del Valle. As time went by, the Order was able to afford a Sevillian-style paso, whose gold and silversmithing was made by Juan Fernández workshops. The embroidered “bambalinas” (decorative elements in the top part of the palio), the palio itself and the mantle of Virgen María (mother of Jesus Christ) have been made by José Luis Asencio.
The penitents’ robe and “capillo” are green and the cape is white.

Number of float bearers: 30.


MARTES SANTO (HOLY TUESDAY)

Name of the Order: Hermandad del Santísimo Cristo de la Expiración, Nuestra Señora de los Dolores y Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno de la Misericordia (also called “Order of the Students”). Church of Santiago el Mayor.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1579 - Total number of nazarenes: 310 - www.hermandad-expiracion.es

PROCESSION: LA EXPIRACIÓN

Approximate times: Beginning: 19.30 pm. End: 00.30 am.

Itinerary: Temple (19.30pm), Plaza de Santiago, Santiago, Padilla, Miguel de Cervantes, Emilio Castelar, Jesús sin Soga, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (20.30pm), Plaza Nuestra Señora del Valle, Zayas, Secretario Armesto, Plazuela Don Esteban Santos Peña, La Marquesa, El Conde, Mandoble, Plaza de Santa María, Fernández Pintado, Santa Ángela de la Cruz, Puerta Osuna, Cava, Plaza de Santiago and Temple (12.30am).

PASO DE NUESTRO PADRE JESÚS DE LA MISERICORDIA
This paso features the biblical scene of “Negaciones y Lágrimas de San Pedro”. The statue of Jesús Nazareno de la Misericordia, carved by Montes de Oca in the 18th century, used to make his procession parade with the Order until 1833 and then again from 1996 onwards. Both the structure of the paso and its “canastilla” were made by the workshop Antonio Rodríguez e Balmaseda Hijos. They were crafted in a pure Ecijan Baroque style, designed by Rafael Amadeo Rojas, who is also the author of the statue of San Juan Evangelista.
The penitents’ tunic and “capillo” are white.

Number of float bearers: 45.

PASO DEL SANTÍSIMO CRISTO DE LA EXPIRACIÓN
This is a masterpiece by Pedro Roldán in the 17th century. It was restored in 1991 by José Rodríguez-Rivero Carrera. The structure of the paso, work by the carpenter J. Belmonte in 1965, was carved by Antonio Martín and its reliefed scenes of Jesus Christ’s Passion belong to A. Borrego, with polycromy by J. Ojeda. The Four Evangelists were crafted by Rafael Amadeo Rojas. Both “faldones” and “respiraderos” are embroidered in maroon velvet, designed by José Luis Asencio.
The penitents’ tunic is white and the capillo is red.

Number of float bearers: 35.

PASO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LOS DOLORES
Paso crafted by the workshop La Roldana in 1713 and restored in 1991 by José Rodríguez-Rivero Carrera. It is inspired in the Ecijan Baroque, presenting silver metal by Díaz Roncero and also wood of the same colour by Moreno Anguita. The artist Franco is the maker of different elements that can be found in the “paso”, such as a half moon or a crown made of pure silver. The embroidery of the statue’s mantle was designed by J. Ojeda.
The penitents’ tunic and the cape are white. The “capillo” is purple.

Number of float bearers: 35.


MIÉRCOLES SANTO (HOLY WEDNESDAY)

Semana Santa en Écija

Name of the Order: Sacramental y Real Archicofradía de Nazarenos de la Coronación de Espinas de Nuestro Señor Jesucristo, San Marcos, San Roque, Santísimo Cristo de la Salud, Nuestra Señora de los Dolores, Sagrado Corazón de Jesús y San Juan de Dios. Church of San Gil.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1563 - Total number of nazarenes: 1.100 - www.hermandadsangil.es

PROCESSION: SAN GIL

Approximate times: Beginning: 18.30 pm. End: 12.00 am.

Itinerary: Temple (18.30pm), Plaza de San Gil, San Antonio, Cadenas, Emilio Castelar, Jesús sin Soga, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (19.00pm), Plaza Nuestra Señora del Valle, José Canalejas, Santa Florentina, Sevilla, Carreras, Plaza Puerta Cerrada, El Conde, Plaza de España (across the chairs gallery), Jesús Sin Soga, Emilio Castelar, Cadenas, San Antonio, Plaza de San Gil, Temple (12.00am).

PASO DEL MISTERIO DE LA CORONACIÓN DE ESPINAS DE NUESTRO SEÑOR JESUCRISTO
This holy statue comes from an Ecce Homo from the 18th century whose author is unknown. It was restored and remodelled by Rafael Amadeo Rojas in 1991, who designed new legs. The statues that we can see next to Señor de la Coronación, crafted by Rafael Amadeo Rojas between 1992 and 1998. The structure of the paso is made of cedar wood and has been made by the workshop of the Sevillian Antonio Díaz in 1991. It also has “candelabros de guardabrisas”. In each of the four corners we can see the Four Evangelists, attributed to the Sevillian author Antonio Castillo Lastrucci in 1959.
The penitents’ tunic is purple with white buttons and a purple “sash” too. The cape is white and purple. On the left shoulder we can see the emblem of the Order embroidered on a purple background. The “capirote” (conical headwear) is short and it is covered by a purple capillo with the Order’s emblem on it. The gloves are black.

Number of float bearers: 45.

PASO DEL SANTÍSIMO CRISTO DE LA SALUD
Santísimo Cristo de la Salud is highly-devoted statue of Cristo de la Salud, thought to date from the end of the Andalusian Gothic Age, around the year 1500. This real size sculpture was restored by Luis Alvarez Duarte in 1985. The structure was built in a Neobaroque style with mahogany wood from 1969 and illuminated with four thick and large torches in each corner. It also has pure silver lamps. On the “faldones” we can see fine gold-embroidered brooches.
The penitents’ tunic is purple with white buttons and a purple “sash” too. The cape is white and purple. On the left shoulder they wear the emblem of the Order embroidered on a purple background. The “capirote” is short and it is covered by a purple “capillo” with the Order’s emblem on it. The gloves are black.

Number of float bearers: 35.

PASO DE LA SANTÍSIMA VIRGEN DE LOS DOLORES
José Montes de Oca is the author of this statue, at the end of the 17th century. It was restored by Luis Álvarez Duarte in 1985. It is a “paso de palio” whose gold and silversmithing elements were made by the Sevillian workshop Hijos de Juan Fernández between 1969 and 1977. The crown was crafted by Manuel de los Ríos, also from Sevilla, in 1982. The statue’s mantle is made of blue velvet and has fine gold embroidery made by Ana Antúnez in 1882. The top of the palio was embroidered in gold.
The penitents’ tunic is white with sky blue buttons and a “sash” of the same colour too. The cape is white and sky blue. On the left shoulder they wear the emblem of the Order embroidered on a purple background. The “capirote” is short and it is covered by a sky blue “capillo” with the Order’s emblem on it. The gloves are white.

Number of float bearers: 35.


JUEVES SANTO (MAUNDY THURSDAY)

Semana Santa en Écija

Name of the Order: Real y Fervorosa Hermandad y Cofradía de Penitencia del Bienaventurado San Francisco de Paula, Santísimo Cristo de la Sagrada Columna y Azotes, Santísimo Cristo de Confalón, Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza y de la Purísima Concepción de María. Church of La Victoria.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1570 - Total number of nazarenes: 600 - www.hermandaddeconfalon.es

PROCESSION: EL CONFALÓN

Approximate times: Beginning: 19.30pm. End: 01.00am.

Itinenary: Temple (18.30pm), La Victoria, Cañaveralejo, Hospital, Puerta Osuna, Cánovas del Castillo, Ignacio de Soto, Miguel de Cervantes, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (20.45pm), Más y Prats, Sancha Carrillo, Espíritu Santo, Garcilaso, Más y Prats, García Guerrero, San Francisco, Plaza de España, Jesús sin Soga, Emilio Castelar, Fray Amigo Vallejo, Palacio de Benamejí, Cánovas del Castillo, Plaza Puerta Osuna, Mendoza and Temple (12.15am) .

PASO DEL SANTÍSIMO CRISTO EN EL MISTERIO DE LA SAGRADA COLUMNA Y AZOTES
The holy statue of Cristo en el Misterio de Azotes en la Columna from the 16th century and author unknown was restored between 1999 and 2000. It is a wooden-carved, golden and polychrome paso crafted in a Rococo style from Pérez Calvo in 1940. The paso has also two executioners and a Roman centurion, works by Rafael Amadeo Rojas in 1995.
The penitents’ tunic is white with a red velvet “sash” and the Order’s emblem on it.

Number of float bearers: 35.

PASO DEL SANTÍSIMO CRISTO DE CONFALÓN
The maker of this much venerated 16th century statue of Santísimo Cristo de Confalón is unknown. It was crafted in a Renaissance style with Gothic influences and it was restored in 2000. The statue’s holy Cross is made of ebony with wooden inlays of nacre, ivory and tortoiseshell. It is a pure Ecijan style paso (ported upon the float bearers’ shoulders) with a Baroque style base from the 18th century. It is illuminated with fine gold metal candelabra and “guardabrisas” (open glass recipient to put the candles) with delicate pieces made of quartz.
The penitents’ tunic is white, with a black velvet “sash” and the Order’s emblem on it.

Number of float bearers: 32.

PASO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA ESPERANZA

The statue of Virgen de la Esperanza, whose author is unknown, was restored between 1997 and 1998 in a magnificent “paso de palio”. José Luis Asencio is the author of the embroidery work of golden lamé (type of cloth) upon green velvet in conjunction with the statue’s mantle. The “passionist” paintings in the inside part of the “bambalinas” are also noteworthy. The gold and silversmithing works are by the workshop Villarreal.
The penitents’ tunic is white, with a green velvet “sash” and the Order’s emblem on it.

Number of float bearers: 30.


Name of the Order: Real, Muy Antigua y Fervorosa Hermandad del Santísimo Cristo de la Sangre y Nuestra Señora de los Dolores.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1564 - Total number of nazarenes: 450.

PROCESSION: LA SANGRE

Approximate times: Beginning: 19.30pm. End: 00.45am.

Itinerary: Temple (19.30pm), Plaza Nuestra Señora del Valle, José Canalejas, Puerta Palma, La Calzada, Salto, Zamoranos, Caleros, Avenida de los Emigrantes, Plaza de Colón, Carreras, Puerta Cerrada, El Conde, Mandoble, Plaza de Santa María, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (23.45pm), Plaza Nuestra Señora del Valle, Temple (00.45am).

PASO DEL SANTÍSIMO CRISTO DE LA SANGRE
This holy statue of Santísimo Cristo de la Sangre, built in a Renaissance style, is a masterpiece by Gaspar de Águila in 1567, inspired in that of Sevillian San Agustín. After the Order’s rules approval in 1571, they were able to make their first procession. It is a Baroque style paso designed by the Ecijan José Belmonte, carved by Antonio Martín and gilded by Antonio Díaz, both from Sevilla. In each of its corners we can see candelabra with “guardabrisas” and small statues of Evangelists.
The penitents’ tunic is red, with white cape and cincture made of esparto.

Number of float bearers: 35.

PASO DE LA SANTÍSIMA VIRGEN DE LOS DOLORES
The statue was crafted in 1853 by the sculptor Antonio Poz from Córdoba. The gold and silversmithing works of this “paso de palio” were made by the workshop Villarreal. The embroidery works in deep red velvet in the palio and purple in the mantle of the statue are adorned with other embroidery works from the 18th century. There is a small statue of San Agustín in the front part of the paso, made of pure silver.
The penitents’ tunic is white, with red cape and cincture made of esparto.

Number of float bearers: 35.


VIERNES SANTO (GOOD FRIDAY)

Name of the Order: Real y Venerable Hermandad y Cofradía de Nazarenos de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno Abrazado a la Cruz y María Santísima de la Amargura, also named (“El Silencio”). Main Church of Santa Cruz.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1666 - Total number of nazarenes: 450 - www.elsilenciodeecija.com

PROCESSION: EL SILENCIO

Approximate times: Beginning: 12.00pm. End: 03.00am.

Itinerary: Temple (12.00pm), Plaza Nuestra Señora Del Valle, José Canalejas, Santa Florentina, Sevilla, Carreras, Puerta Cerrada, El Conde, Mandoble, Plaza de Santa María, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (02.15am), Plaza Nuestra Señora Del Valle y Templo (03.00am).

PASO DE NUESTRO PADRE JESÚS NAZARENO ABRAZADO A LA CRUZ
The statue of Jesús Abrazado con su Cruz is attributed to the sculptor Pedro Roldán in the 18th century. Its Cross built in a Baroque style was made of pure silver from the 17th century and it was enlarged by the workshop Villarreal, following its original design. The Rococo style “potencias”, made of pure silver from the 18th century, are probably by Damián de Castro. The statue wears a tunic with golden embroidery works upon purple velvet, the same style of the Cross’ (18th century). It is an austere Baroque paso, carved by Francisco Palos (from Puente Genil) and it is accompanied by ten golden lanterns and lockets, everything from the workshop Villarreal in Sevilla.
The penitents’ tunic is purple, black “capillo” and cape, cincture made of esparto and black shoes.

Number of float bearers: 30.

PASO DE MARÍA SANTÍSIMA DE LA AMARGURA
Santísima Virgen de la Amargura is a work crafted by Antonio Castillo Lastruccí in 1964. It is a Sevillian “paso de palio” with gold and silver embroidery by the Ecijan artist Joaquín Ojeda. The long poles are by Angula and the “candelabros de cola” (type of candelabra), were made by Villarreal.
The penitents’ tunic is purple, black “capillo” and cape, cincture made of esparto and black shoes.

Number of float bearers: 30.


Semana Santa en Écija

Name of the Order: Pontificia, Ilustre y Muy Antigua Hermandad y Cofradía de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno, Santa Cruz en Jerusalén, María Santísima de las Misericordias y San Juan Evangelista y San Francisco de Écija. Church of San Juan.

Information: Foundation of the Order: 1959 - Total number of nazarenes: 250 - www.hermandaddesanjuan.com

PROCESSION: SAN JUAN

Approximate times: Beginning: 06.00am. End: 12.00pm.

Itinerary: Temple (06.00am), Plazuela de San Juan, Arcipreste Aparicio, Emilio Castelar, Garcilópez, Valderrama, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (07.00am), Zayas, Secretario Armesto, Plazuela Don Esteban Santos Peña, La Marquesa, El Conde, Puerta Cerrada, Ancha, Puerta Osuna, Santa Ángela de la Cruz, El Conde, Plaza de España (across the chairs gallery), Jesús sin Soga, Emilio Castelar, Arcipreste Aparicio, Plazuela de San Juan, Temple (12.00pm).

PASO DE NUESTRO PADRE JESÚS NAZARENO
This paso represents the holy statue of Jesús Nazareno on his way to the Mount Calvary, a work of the Sevillian School from the 17th century. Its maker is unknown and it was restored during the 60s of the past century by Francisco Buiza and Joaquín Ojeda. It consists of a paso crafted in a Baroque “canastilla”, remodelled by Antonio Martín. The golden metal lanterns were made by Villarreal. The Four Evangelists have been made by Ricardo Comas, whereas the “faldones de damasco” (specific design for “faldones”) embroidered in purple are a work of Joaquín Ojeda.
The penitents’ tunic is black with the cape tucked into the “sash”, black “capillo” and the red Jerusalem Cross on it.

Number of float bearers: 35.

PASO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LAS MISERICORDIAS
The statues of Santísima Virgen de las Misericordias and San Juan Bautista which can be seen on the paso are attributed to Ricardo Comas. Both were crafted in a Sevillian style. The entire gold and silversmithing works of this magnificent “paso de palio” have been made by the workshop Villarreal. The blue velvet mantle with golden embroidery is a work by Juan Manuel Rodríguez Ojeda. The “bambalinas”, embroidered in gold upon deep red velvet, were designed by Joaquín Ojeda. The top of the “palio” with embroidery work from the 18th century upon deep red velvet has a silver locket featuring the coronation of Santísima Virgen, embroidered in gold and silk.
The penitents’ tunic is black with, the cape tucked into the “sash”, black “capillo” and the red Jerusalem Cross on it.

Number of float bearers: 30.


Name of the Order: Real, Muy Antigua y Fervorosa Hermandad de Nuestra Señora de la Piedad y Santísimo Cristo de la Exaltación en la Cruz. Convent of La Merced.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1509 - Total number of nazarenes: 120.

PROCESSION: LA PIEDAD

Approximate times: Beginning: 19.00pm. End: 23.30pm.

Itinerary: Temple (19.00pm), Merced, Padilla, Miguel de Cervantes, Emilio Castelar, Jesús Sin Soga, Carrera Oficial (20.15pm), Doña Sancha Carrillo, Espíritu Santo, Garcilaso, San Francisco, Plaza de España (across the chairs gallery until Miguel de Cervantes and turns right to Church of Santa Bárbara), Valderrama, Garcilópez, Virgen de la Piedad, Arco de Belén, Estepa, Merced, Temple (23.30pm).

PASO DEL SANTÍSIMO CRISTO DE LA EXALTACIÓN EN LA CRUZ
This holy statue of Jesus Christ crafted in a mannerist style is a work by the Ecijan Miguel de Vilches in 1597, which was restored in 1992. The paso has also two Roman soldiers, carved in 1959 by Guillermo Riego and an executioner, which was restored by Rafael Amadeo Rojas. It consists of a golden Ecijan “canastilla” from the 18th century, built in a Baroque style. The structure also has golden “candelabros de guardabrisas” and one “passionist” statue in each corner. The float bearers port it like formerly.
The penitents’ tunic is white. The “capillo”, cape, shoes, gloves and “sash” are black.

Number of float bearers: 35.

PASO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA PIEDAD
The author of this old and venerated statue of Virgen de la Piedad is unknown, but it was probably made in the 16th century and restored by Ricardo Comas in 1992. San Juan Evangelista accompanies the Virgin every two years. The statue of San Juan Evangelista was donated by Fray José de la Escalera Fernández, from Córdoba, in 1751. The gold and silversmithing works are by the workshop Villarreal and the candelabra, by Hermanos Fernández. The embroidery works made of gold and silver lamé, both in the mantle and the top of the palio, were designed by J. Ojeda.
The penitents’ tunic is white. The “capillo”, cape, shoes, gloves and “sash” are black.

Total float bearers: 30.


Semana Santa en Écija

Name of the Order: Hermandad y Cofradía de Nuestro Padre Jesús Sin Soga, Nuestra Señora de la Fe y Sagrados Corazones de Jesús y María.
Información: Foundation of the Order: 1977 - Total number of nazarenes: 110 - www.jesussinsoga.com

PROCESSION: JESÚS SIN SOGA

Approximate times: Beginning: 19.30pm. End: 23.30pm.

Itinerary: Temple (19.30pm), Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (19.50pm), Plaza Nuestra Señora del Valle, Zayas, Secretario Armesto, Plazuela Don Esteban Santos Peña, La Marquesa, El Conde, Mandoble, Plaza de Santa María, Fernández Pintado, Santa Ángela de la Cruz, Cánovas del Castillo, Plaza de la Constitución, Fray Carlos Amigo Vallejo, Emilio Castelar, Jesús sin Soga, Plaza de España, Temple (23.30pm).

PASO DE NUESTRO PADRE JESÚS SIN SOGA
The Order’s name comes from the legendary tradition about the venerated canvas painting in the outside chapel in Church of Santa Bárbara: Jesus Christ gave his cincture to a homeless person and it turned into gold. Then he sold it and with the money he obtained, he was able to cure his ill wife. This carved statue was made by José Montes de Oca in 1733 and was originally in the old Convent of San Gregorio. The statue ports a cross and does not have a cincture. It stands on a dark and wooden-carved Baroque paso with “cartelas”, battlement decoration, molding decorative elements and large golden torches.
The penitents’ tunic is white and they do not wear a cincture. The “capillo” is white and it has the Order’s emblem on it. The shoes are dark.

Number of float bearers: 35.

PASO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA FE

The maker of Virgen de la Fe is unknown. It dates from the 17th century and was originally in the Convent of San Pablo and Santo Domingo. During both 17th and 18th centuries, it was the main representative paso of the Order of Cristo Yacente in the aforementioned convent. At present, it consists of a carved paso by Francisco Palos, from the end of last century.
The penitents’ tunic is white and they do not wear a cincture. The “capillo” is white and it has the Order’s emblem on it. The shoes are dark.

Number of float bearers: 30.


Name of the Order: Sacramental de Nuestra Señora del Carmen, Cofradía de Nazarenos de Santísimo Cristo de la Misericordia, Nuestro Padre Jesús Descendido de la Cruz en el Misterio de su Sagrada Mortaja y María Santísima de la Piedad. Church of the Discalced.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1989 - Total number of nazarenes: 100.

PROCESSION: LA MORTAJA

Approximate times: Beginning: 19.30. End: 22.40pm.

Itinerary: Temple (19.30pm), Plazuela Don Esteban Santos Peña, La Marquesa, El Conde, Plaza de Puerta Cerrada, Ancha, Hospital, Puerta Osuna, Santa Ángela de la Cruz, Cánovas del Castillo, Plaza de la Constitución, Fray Carlos Amigo Vallejo, Emilio Castelar, Jesús sin Soga, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (21.40pm), Zayas, Secretario Armesto, Plazuela Don Esteban Santos Peña, Temple (22.40pm).

PASO DE LA SAGRADA MORTAJA

The paso features Jesus Christ in her Mother’s arms. The holy statue of Santísima Virgen de la Piedad is a Neapolitan sculpture from the 18th century whose author is unknown. The statue of María Salomé was the one to make procession during the 17th century. The statue of María de Cleofás was crafted around the year 1955. The Sevillian Fernando Murciano Abad is the maker of the statue of San Juan Evangelista, made in 1998. The paso was carved by Francisco Palo Chaparro.
The penitents’ tunic is brown with Carmelite scapulary. The “capillo” is cream-coloured and has the Order’s emblem on it.

Number of float bearers: 35.


SÁBADO SANTO (HOLY SATURDAY)

Semana Santa en Écija

Name of the Order: Real, Muy Ilustre, Antigua y Noble Cofradía de Nazarenos de Nuestra Señora en la Consideración de sus Angustias y Soledad, Santo Entierro de Nuestro Señor Jesucristo y del Dulce Nombre de Jesús. Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1492 - Total number of nazarenes: 200.

PROCESSION: LA SOLEDAD

Approximate times: Beginning: 18.30pm. End: 22.45pm.

Itinerary: Temple (18.30pm), Fuentes de Andalucía, San Juan Bosco, Plaza de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, Plaza de Puerta Cerrada, El Conde, Mandoble, Plaza de Santa María, Plaza de España, Miguel de Cervantes, Emilio Castelar, Jesús sin Soga, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (20.20pm), Plaza de Nuestra Señora del Valle, José Canalejas, Santa Florentina, Sevilla, Plaza de Colón, Carmen, Temple (22.45pm).

PASO DE LA QUINTA ANGUSTIA
This paso represents the anguish of Virgin Mary when she has the lifeless body of her son, Jesus Christ, in her arms. The statues of this paso are made in polychromed cedar wood. The paso is adorned with a wooden cross covered with tortoiseshell engravings with inlaid work of silver from the 18th century. The paso was carved in mahogany wooden. This Baroque style paso has pure silver decorative elements.
The penitents’ tunic is white, the cape is black, “capillo” made of black and white velvet and also a black velvet “sash”. We can see the Order’s emblem on the left shoulder of the capes.

Number of float bearers: 30.

PASO DEL SANTO ENTIERRO DE NUESTRO SEÑOR JESUCRISTO
The venerated statue of Jesús en su Santo Sepulcro (the Holy Sepulchre) was crafted in a late Gothic style, dating from the 14th and 15th centuries of author unknown. It is a real size statue in a hieratic position which expresses the natural lack of movements of corpses. The hands are placed on the lap and the legs are bended. Jesus Christ’s face presents a pleasantly sleepy face. It was restored by the Escuela Superior de Bienes Culturales from Madrid in 1996.
The penitents’ tunic is white, black cape. Both the “capillo” and the “sash” are made of black and white velvet. The capes have the Order’s emblem on their left shoulder.

This paso is carried on wheels.

PASO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA SOLEDAD

This paso features the Virgin Mary alone, holding the Crown of Thorns on her hands and the shroud that belonged to her son, Jesus Christ. The mentioned scene is represented as it appears in the chapter number 12 of the verse 1 in the Bible’s Apocalypse. The Virgen de la Soledad, Ecijan statue from the 18th century, wears natural hair and it is attributed to Luisa Roldán (also called “La Roldana”).
The penitents’ tunic is white, black cape. Both the “capillo” and the “sash” are made of black and white velvet. The capes have the Order’s emblem on their left shoulder.

Number of float bearers: 35.


DOMINGO DE RESURRECCIÓN (RESURRECTION SUNDAY)

Name of the Order: Santísimo Sacramento, Gloriosa Resurrección de Nuestro Señor Jesucristo, María Santísima de la Alegría y Santa María Magdalena. Main Church of Santa Cruz.
Information: Foundation of the Order: 1601 - Total number of nazarenes: 90 - www.hermandadresucitado.org

PROCESSION: EL RESUCITADO

Approximate times: Beginning: 10.00am. End: 14.00pm.

Itinerary: Temple (10.00am), Plaza Nuestra Señora del Valle, Zayas, Secretario Armesto, La Marquesa, Santa Ángela de la Cruz, Cánovas del Castillo, Plaza de la Constitución, Fray Carlos Amigo Vallejo, Emilio Castelar, Jesús sin Soga, Plaza de España, Carrera Oficial (12.55pm), Plaza Nuestra Señora del Valle, Temple (14.00pm).

PASO DEL CRISTO RESUCITADO
The holy statue of Cristo Resucitado’s maker is unknown. It dates back to the 16th century and it was restored by Ricardo Comas. The Order’s first rules were approved in 1601, so the Order has celebrated the “Día de la Cruz” (“day of the Cross”) from then onwards. The Order has been given several papal bulls from His Holiness Pope Gregory XII in 1580, Pope Gregory XIV in 1591, Pope Clement VIII in 1604 and Paul V in 1610. It was reestablished in 1979, preserving the title of “Sacramental” and “Resurrection”. The current Order’s rules date back to 1990.
The penitents’ tunic is cream-coloured; the cape is white and has a red stripe on the left shoulder.

Number of float bearers: 40.

PASO DE LA VIRGEN DE LA ALEGRÍA
The paso of La Santísima Virgen de la Alegría, which is ported by female bearers, is attributed to the Sevillian Antonio Dubé de Luque, in 1988. The front part of the “canastilla” was made by workshops in Manuel de los Ríos from Sevilla.
The penitents’ robe is cream-coloured; the cape is white and has a blue stripe on the left shoulder.

Number of float bearers: 35.


1. Elaborated float made for religious processions during Holy Week.
2. General Association of Religious Orders of Écija.
3. Common itinerary to all the religious processions within the historic centre of Écija.