CONVENT OF SANTA FLORENTINAThis convent is the oldest in Écija. The community of Dominican Sisters who reside in the convent make and sell bakery products.
CONVENT OF LA MERCED
It was founded in 1509. The greatest work in this convent is the side-chapel of Virgen de la Merced, whose construction started in 1739, and which is considered an icon of the Baroque in Écija. The cloisters are from the 17th century. Noteworthy is also the main altarpiece, belonging to the late Andalusian Renaissance style.
Location and contact: Calle La Merced, 4 - Telephone number: +34 954 830 152
CONVENT OF THE FRANCISCAN CONCEPTIONISTS (Also called “The Marroquíes”)Its construction began at the end of the 16th century and it was finished during the 17th and 18th centuries. Inside the church we can observe one of the most representative Baroque adornments.
CONVENT OF THE PHILIPIANS
The church consists of one single nave, covered with a Mudéjar1 style coffered ceiling. The founding of the convent dates back to the last quarter of the 16th century. Most of the architectural and decorative remains in both the church and convent belong to the 18th century. The main altarpiece was built in a Neoclassical style.
Location: Calle Padre Tejero, 6.
CONVENT OF THE SISTERS OF THE CROSS (Also known as “The Convent of the Capuchinos”)
The members of the community of the Sisters of the Cross have lived there since 1924. It is a Latin cross-shaped church which also has side chapels. It dates back to the year 1786.
Location and contact: Calle Santa Ángela de la Cruz, 20-A - Telephone number: +34 954 830 313
Opening hours: Mondays to Saturdays: 07.40am to 08.00am. Sundays: 10.00am to 10.30am.
Mass services: Mondays to Saturdays at 07.40amSundays at 10.00am.
CONVENT OF SAN JOSÉ (Also known as “The Teresian”)This convent was built over the old palace of the Counts of Palma, a significant Mudéjar-style building of great tourist interest erected during the 14th and 15th centuries.
ROYAL CONVENT OF SANTA INÉS
The church was erected in a Baroque style. The façade has two simple stone-carved doorways. It is a single-nave church with plasterwork and paintings from the 17th century. Home-made pastries are sold by the members of the Order.
Location and contact: Calle Mayor, 29 - Telephone number: +34 954 830 741
Opening hours: Mornings: 10.00am to 14.00pm. Afternoons: closed.
1. Name given to individual Moors or Muslims of Al-Andalus who remained in Iberia after the Christian Reconquista but were not converted to Christianity.