The most ancient remains date back to the Visigothic age, with two capitals preserved at the northern patio and an interesting sarcophagus with biblical scenes carved on stone on the high altar that dates back to the 5th century. During the Muslim era, between the 8th and the 13th century, there was a mosque place here, and the current tower was built over the old minaret. It has Arabic inscriptions on its stone base. After the Reconquista, while Alfonso XII was dividing up the city in 1263, the building of a new mudejar church started, with a plasterwork ornamental arch preserved at the northern patio. After the earthquake in 1755, it was agreed the building of a new neoclassical church, but it remained unfinished due to a lack of resources. In the Gospel nave (left) it is found El Camarín de la Virgen del Valle, patron saint of the city, and from there you can access to the Sacrum Art Museum.
The primitive Santa María de la Asunción church was built in 1262 with a gothic-mudejar style. During the 16th and 17th centuries it was profoundly remodeled and finally rebuilt during the 18th century. It has an important archaeological collection in the cloisters, with artworks coming from different periods and cultures. The old mudejar tower was demolished and build brand-new in 1717. After the damages caused by the 1755’s earthquake in Lisbon, some alterations were made in the upper part of the tower.
Address: Plazvela de Sta. María Square, 2, 41400, Écija (Seville).
The first church, with a gothic-mudejar style, was in ruins; therefore it was remodeled during the 16th and the 17th century. But the most transcendental period for this church was the 18th century, when the parish was moved to the sacramental chapel. Then it was build the tower, which is the most beautiful in Écija. After starting the construction, it was cancelled in 1807 due to a lack of resources. The façades and several elements of the church were already built, and the parish was established in the Sacramental chapel, place where it still remains nowadays.
Address: San Juan Square, 1, 41400, Écija (Seville).
It is the most interesting ecclesiastical building in the historical set of Écija. It belongs to the 15th century’s gothic-mudejar style and it is one of the most elegant churches in Andalucía. It underwent several remodelings during the Renaissance and the beginning of the baroque period, in parts such as the tower, the sacramental chapel, the patio, the choir, the prayer room and the vestry. The main altarpiece is exceptional, full of paintings and sculptures of a great artistic harmony. The style of the carvings dates back to the transition between the Gothic and the Renaissance. It contains reliefs and sculptures coming from the Jorge Fernández circle and paintings on panels from the 16th century. It is especially interesting the Monteros chapel (1630), one of the first artworks related to the New World. Its pre-Columbian masks, snakes and eagles decoration makes clear the artistic influence that the discovery of America had in Écija.
Address: Santiago Street, 4, 41400, Écija (Seville).
This church was built in 1479 with a gothic-mudejar style. It underwent a profound architectural, ornamental and furnishing transformation during the 17th and 18th century, leading to the current baroque decoration. It is the canonical seat for the San Gil brotherhood, that is, the most venerated brotherhood in Écija. Its Christ, El Cristo de la Salud (16th century), is displayed on a religious parade on Holy Wednesdays.
Address: San Antonio Street, 41400, Écija (Seville).
This temple has a neoclassical style. It consists of three naves and a crossing, where there are some gothic vaults dating back to the period when it was founded. The façade that joins the church with La Plaza de España (España square) belongs to the 17th century. A hurricane destroyed the original bell gable, which was rebuilt afterwards.
Address: España Square, 7, 41400, Écija (Seville).
LA LIMPIA CONCEPCIÓN DE NUESTRA SEÑORA CHURCH (LOS DESCALZOS)
This church belonged to the Padres Carmelitas Calzados convent from its foundation in 1591 to the ecclesiastical confiscations. In 1910 the religious order recovered a part of the building. The convent premises were torn down or adapted for the retirement home run by Las Hermanitas de los Pobres. The community was present in Écija until the mid 20th century, when they changed their jurisdiction to the church of Santa María . It has a lavish ornamentation that consists of paintings and murals with golden and polychromatic plasterworks. Moreover, it has an excellent collection of paintings, sculptures, woodworks and a 18th century’s organ. This church is a symbol of the baroque in Écija.
Addres: la Marquesa Street, 12, 41400, Écija (Seville)
Its foundation dates back to the period between 1353 and 1383 and it was owned by the preacher’s order of Santo Domingo. It is gothic-mudejar but its various remodelings have covered up the original characteristic elements. At the bottom of the Evangelio nave there is the Virgen del Rosario chapel, built in 1761 and considered the greatest exponent of the baroque in Écija. The ceramic altarpiece of El milagro de San Pablo was placed where it is nowadays in 1937, that is, during the celebration of its 5th centenary. The façade that leads to the convent was also restored. The building of the tower started during the second half of the 18th century and remained unfinished from the first body of bells onwards.
Addres: la Marquesa Street, 12, 41400, Écija (Seville)
DEL VALLE CHAPEL (SAN JUAN DE ÁVILA)
The Del Valle chapel is found outside the walls of the town, on the way that leads to Palma del Río. According to the tradition, it dates back to the Arab invasion. There was a column there where they hanged the nuns (from the Santa Florentina convent) who tried to run away from the invaders and take refuge in the city. The tradition went on and the column shaft was sacralised with a cross at the end of the 14th century or beginning of the 15th.The chapel, built during the 15th century, has a gothic-mudejar style and is dominated by the Del Valle virgin on an 18th century baroque altarpiece.
Address: Avenue del Valle, s/n, 41400 Écija
LA CONCEPCIÓN CHURCH (EL HOSPITALITO)
The foundation of the old Los Galindos hospital dates back to 1592. The façade has a Renaissance style. The main altarpiece is prominent, with a baroque style and salomonic columns. The nave of the temple is covered with a magnificent coffered ceiling decorated with a mudejar latticed pattern. The bell gable is subsequent to the rest of the construction. It was built during the second half of the 18th century. The temple currently belongs to the Santa María parish.
It is said that a roman temple or palace was built on this plot. It dates back to the distribution of the city that Alfonso X carried out in 1263. The ancient gothic-mudejar church was completely deteriorated, therefore they decided to demolish it and build a new one between 1787 and 1855. The result was the first neoclassical building in Andalucía. The tower is built over an ancient arab tower, and has its origins in the 15th century. As a result of the damages caused by lightning in 1892, it was partially demolished, and it only preserves the body of the old mudejar tower, which serves as a belfry. The bell that was struck by lightning is preserved in the cloister of the Santa María church.
Address: España Square, 19, 41400, Écija (Seville).
SANTA ANA CHURCH
There was a chapel devoted to Santa Ana next to the Puerta del Puente . In 1626, the Terceros fathers took possession of the temple, starting a series of building works that went on during the 18th century. Its tower is the smallest in Écija and it was rebuilt after the Lisbon earthquake in 1755.
It was founded in 1506 over the San Martín chapel. It belonged to the Mínimos de San Francisco de Paula order until it was exclaustered. This building was almost in ruins and it was demolished in 1965. Only the chancel and the transept were rebuilt in 1974. The church, with a Greek cross floor plan, consists of two baroque façades carved in marble, an 18th century vault rich in plasterworks, and a three-bodied tower, made of facing brick, that is related to the baroque in Málaga. Nowadays it is the seat for the Cristo de Confalón brotherhood.
It is said that the primitive church was built in the 15th century by soldiers that were quartered in the city during the Granada war. They were protected by the council and several noble families that exercised patronage upon them in exchange for being buried in the convent. In the 18th century the convent underwent a profound remodeling. During the Independence war, the convent was exclaustered due to the 1809 decree by José I Bonaparte. As soon as the conflict ended up, the monks wanted to recover it but it was exclaustered again in 1836, during the Mendizábal disentailment. In 1897, it was granted to the Salesianos fathers, who inhabited it until the 20th century. The two chapels, Nuestra Señora de la Soledad and El Santo Sepulcro, are especially remarkable. In the Santo Sepulcro chapel there is an 18th century silver and carey urn with an image of Christ in repose. It dates back to the 14th and 15th century.
Address: El Carmen Street, 16, 41400, Écija (Seville).
Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidad exclusivamente técnica. Click aquí para más información sobre la Política de Cookies.