It is one of the most remarkable buildings of the civil baroque architecture in Andalucía. It was built by the Marquises of Benamejí during the first third of the 18th century. At the beginning of the 19th century, during the French occupation, it became a military quarter. Later on, it was owned by the Counts of Valverde and in 1906 was acquired by the city council. The council gave it to the Remonta Militar, and they used it during the 20th century. It became the Municipal Museum of History in 1997.
It is also known as the Balcones Largos (long balconies). It was built between 1700 and 1775, and was the residence of the Peñaflor family untirl 1958, when the marquis died being a widow without descendance. Some of the most important parts of the building have been renewed by the city council during the last years (façade, tower, stables, vaulted staircase and main patio) and they are open for visits.
This palace has less structural complexity and is more austere than the Peñaflor and Benamejí palaces, but yet it is one of the best 18th century civil constructions in Écija. It was owned by the marquis of las Cuevas del Becerro, and it was part of the same constructional unit as the extinct Espíritu Santo convent. Nowadays, this manor house preserves the original decorations and is open for visits.
Popularly known as La Casa de las Tomasas in Écija, it occupies the premises of the Palace of Justice. It has a regionalist style and it dates back to the 1920’s and beginning of the 1930’s. In spite of its recent construction, it has a high aesthetic value. It is structured around a quadrangular patio with nazari double arches over a set of columns and some poly-lobed arches with plasterwork.
Address: La Marquesa Street, 15, 41400, Écija (Seville).
LOS PAREJA PALACE (PUBLIC LIBRARY)
It was owned by some gentlemen named Pareja and it is considered a traditional house of the 17th-18th century in Écija. After undergoing several modifications and having different uses over time, the city council renovated it and nowadays it houses the public library and the Municipal Historic Archive. Its façade has the typical baroque style of Écija.
Address: Plazuela de Sta. María Square, 4, 41400, Écija (Seville).
The façade is the only existing remains of this old palace. It belonged to one of the most important families in Écija. The master builders Lucas Bazán and Pedro Lozano de la Torre participated in the palace´s renovations carried out by the forth marquis of Alcántara del Cuervo. The façade is made of marble, and its undulating details give it a very singular style. Nowadays it houses the Official Languages School, the UNED and the music conservatory Fray Juan Bermudo.
This residential palace, formerly owned by the marquis of Santaella and The Puerto Hermoso counts, is nowadays the seat for the Sports Society and the tennis club. The main door of the façade is very remarkable. It dates back to the 18th century and has some singular ornamental elements, consisting of figures over the pilasters with the shape of caryatids. At one side of the façade there is an altarpiece decorated with murals dedicated to the Valvanera Virgin. There is also an inner patio, very characteristic of the manor houses in Écija. The staircase is very sumptuous and is covered by a vault richly decorated with paintings from the 18th century.
Address: Ignacio de Soto Street, 41400, Écija (Seville).
In front of the Peñaflor Palace there is the palace of the Valdermoso de Cárdenas y de Torres de Cabrera counts. It is a private building (not open to the public) which was built in the 16th century (around 1530). It belonged to the marquises of Fuentes y Vilaseca. The palace has a noticeable Renaissance style. Its façade is the best example of the plateresque style in Écija, and it is composed by a formidable semicircular arch over the façade, made up by a door with a basked arch surrounded by pilasters, and the figures of El Buen Salvaje on either side. It has a typical Renaissance decoration, with grotesques and candelieri.